was at Lendrick between 1958 and 1965.

Ron wrote (3/3/03):

"This is interesting stuff because in my day (1958-65) there was an enduring feature about someone or other 'doing a bunk'. Whoever it was seemed always to be brought back at tea time - the landrover would drive past and the dining room would surge to the window to spot the captured soul.

For me, as I've suggested previously, LMS was a lifeline. I would never have run away; no place to run to."

Ron wrote (2/3/03):

"I remember Irene Robertson - being introduced to her on one of my early returns to school after I had joined the army (where else could I go but the Bridgelands). She was gorgeous and I was available but that was that. Some years later I was walking along Princes Street in Edinburgh - by then I was at Heriot-Watt - and I saw her again. She was walking with two male companions on either side. Getting closer I saw that she looked tired, worn and visibly pregnant. So very sad.

I have written an autobiographically-based novel of my early years. Nothing is published yet but the early chapters are obviously dominated by the Naemoor /Lendrick Muir experiences. Maybe I shall test some with the group one day."

Ron previously wrote "I was at LMS before I was 10 until I was just over 17. It was the only place I knew as home - and as I moved into my teenage years, things that purported to be home became even worse. When I left, I spent a two weeks summer camp at National Trust Centre in Balmacarra, near Kyle. Jim Hague was the supervisor (July 1965). My last contact, in school uniform, was waving goodbye to Jamie Pyper at Stirling station, as I returned to Edinburgh (and yet another address - a dingy two apartment basement with a shared bathroom in Regent Terrace).

Eventually I managed to run away from all of it - by getting into the army.

So, when I discovered the LMS site, I was astounded!"

"The school was officially non-denominational, although we almost marched to Crook of Devon to see and hear the lantern-jawed Reverend McConkey. He was not a big man but he had a thunderous voice."

"The boys were sent on runs three times a week; Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. Tuesdays and Thursdays were hockey days. We lamented the lack of hockey practice; skills development, tactics and so on, yet we were unbelievably fit. The Crook-Rumbling bridge run was 3 miles (so Rumbling to LMS just over a mile, I think). The Muckhart run was 5 miles. Running in those flimsy aertex shirts and shorts was a body-warming challenge in itself!

When I was in the army, I was by far the fittest person in my squadron, troop and so on. I kept up the training, especially in Aden.

Now I swim a lot."

"Before Craigard and before half of the top floor was converted into an "official apartment for the Thornbers" (I met them in the summer they arrived and I left - 1965, when I visited the Bridgelands again), the senior girls dorm was next to the youngest boys' dorm. I remember at least, sharing the dorm with Ross Munroe (from Gorebridge) and Jack Emptage (from Kirkcaldy). I was 9 years, 9 months old on arrival and had no serious emotional mother figure for 5 years. Seeing these big girls move around, even to the point of collecting our dirty socks, sometimes in their pyjamas, was like being in heaven!

This site seems to have an ability to evoke memories I never realised I had."

1st eleven hockey team - 1962

Photo of hockey team

Back row: Ross Cowan, Billy Young, Ron McGill, Alastair Cromarty, Christopher Munro, David Hand, and Sammy Sim.

Front row: Mike Riddle, Leslie Carswell, David Angus, Neil Walker, and Sandy Wilson.

Contact | Legal